grub-devel

Debugging modules built into a GRUB image w/ gdb

From: Charles Duffy
Subject: Debugging modules built into a GRUB image w/ gdb
Date: Wed, 18 May 2016 22:13:44 +0000

Howdy --

I'm trying to track down an issue encountered wherein a grub.cfg on a memdisk is only successfully loaded with check_signatures=no, despite grub_pubkey_open containing code which appears to explicitly exempt the case where io->device->disk->id == GRUB_DISK_DEVICE_MEMDISK_ID from enforcement.

My grub EFI binary is built with grub-mkimage, with a complete list of required module names passed on the command line. When I attach with gdb, grub_dl_head is a null pointer, so dump_module_sections never executes in load_all_modules, and I don't get symbols loaded -- particularly for verify.mod, that being of immediate interest.

Pointers?