grub-devel

Patch for German keyboard layout for the at_keyboard input

From: fgndevelop
Subject: Patch for German keyboard layout for the at_keyboard input
Date: Sun, 15 May 2016 20:19:29 +0200

 Dear team at grub-devel,

 First of all I would like to thank you for the Grand boot loader, your work is
very
 much appreciated.

 Recently I downloaded the current grub-2.02-beta3 and started experimenting
with it.
 I am am making use of the luks module in GRUB to provide my clients with fully
encrypted
 harddrives. Since my clients are German, and I keep telling them that strong
passwords
 should contain special characters, I ended up modifying the default keyboard
layout
 for the at_keyboard.c input driver. I provided the diff in keylayouts.c.diff,
if you want
 to make use of it. The support for German keys is only partial, since some of
the German
 keys are non-ASCII.

 Also I patched at_keyboard.c. It has a minor typo, in line 91 both scancode
0x52 and
 0x53 are mapped to the same GRUB_KEYBOARD_KEY_NUMDOT. This is wrong, scancode
0x52
 has to be mapped to GRUB_KEYBOARD_KEY_NUM0 (as that's what it is).

 Last but not least, parsing through include/grub/keyboard_layouts.h, I
realized that the
 enumeration of GRUB_KEYBOARD_KEY_* is skipping value 0x31:

 >  GRUB_KEYBOARD_KEY_RBRACKET = 0x30,
 >  GRUB_KEYBOARD_KEY_BACKSLASH = 0x32,

 I do not know why this is the case, but from my point of view this probably
lead to the
 following comment ( in grub-core/commands/keylayouts.c ):

 > /* According to usage table 0x31 should be mapped to '/'
 >       but testing with real keyboard shows that 0x32 is remapped to '/'.
 >       Map 0x31 to 0.

 Cleaning up the enumeration would do some good, I guess.

 Find attached both aformentioned patches. I'll be glad help out if you deem it
appropriate
 to, e.g. make the support for German at_keyboard layout a configurable option.

 Regards, Frank