grub-devel

Re: at_keyboard breaks rebooting of system

From: Andrei Borzenkov
Subject: Re: at_keyboard breaks rebooting of system
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2016 14:10:30 +0300

On Thu, Mar 24, 2016 at 1:20 PM, Olaf Hering <address@hidden> wrote:
> While trying to enable a german keymap in grub2 I run into some grub2 or
> BIOS bug on my Esprimo M9400. After 'terminal_input at_keyboard' reboot
> just hangs, in grub2, Linux and Xen. Poweroff still works. In Linux the
> cursor stops blinking when the reboot is supposed to happen. In grub2
> the cursor does still blink.
>
> It looks like at_keyboard is required to get a non-US keymap in grub2.
>
> Any idea what might be the culprit, anything I can try?

One potential problem is that at_keyboard directly competes with BIOS
for input characters. It probably should disable BIOS keyboard
processing on i386-pc platform while is is active.

There was alternative suggestion (because at_keyboard was too
unreliable) to use extended BIOS keyboard service.

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-grub/2015-07/msg00004.html
(and thread that led to it)

... hmm ... I thought there was a followup but I cannot find it.