grub-devel

Fedora patches [was Re: Bugs and tasks for 2.02[~rc1]]

From: Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko
Subject: Fedora patches [was Re: Bugs and tasks for 2.02[~rc1]]
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2016 18:21:08 +0100

On Friday, March 4, 2016, Peter Jones <address@hidden> wrote:
On Wed, Mar 02, 2016 at 03:01:03PM +0000, Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko wrote:
> Hello, all. I went through the list of bugs and created a shortlist of bugs
> that need to be looked at for 2.02. I have marked them with plan_release_id
> set to 2.02.
> Statistics: [1]
> Search (with loads of false positives unfortunately): [2]
> Not every bug there is a release blocker, for some of them it just would be
> nice to know status before releasing. Some of them are probably already
> fixed.
>
> Additionally I created a category "Hardware specific" [3]. Bugs there are
> not release blockers but fixing them could benefit the release.

In the interest of fixing them up eventually, here's a chunk
of ones that look reasonably well-suited for upstream without much work
on them, which I've rebased against your master branch today.

https://github.com/vathpela/grub2-fedora/tree/for-upstream

Most of these are not critical for this release - really only 3 of them.
Here are some notes on each; I can send them individually to the list if
you think it's worthwhile.

There are only a couple that are "critical", and we really want in this
release:

bf4d216 Fix crash on http
78b3509 Update to minilzo-2.08
eaa05aa Failed config now returns exit code (#1252311)
Cherry-picked this one

Then these are just generic network handling patches:

836b528 DHCP client ID and UUID options added.
I didn't see it in for-upstream
eb1adf5 trim arp packets with abnormal size
 Didn't see it either but the last version I've seen just trims it at arbitrary size rather than checking size fields for sanity then, cutting at min (old_size, sum_of_all_size_fields) which is a proper solution. Can we get it cleaned up?

And these are hardware specific.  They're not critical, in the sense
that I can keep carrying them if you have any problems and we can work
it out for the /next/ release.

beee9fc Add vlan-tag support on IBM PPC machines
93a6fae IBM client architecture (CAS) reboot support
This patch is bad. See how it reallocates script in cas_reboot but never modifies caller variable. Caller may acccess freed space. More high-level problem: can machine get stuck in CAS reboot cycle? How would user request GRUB not to respect the settings and go to console or menu instead?
297d32d for ppc, reset console display attr when clear screen
 Why is this hardware-specific? Sounds like we miss setting of terminal mode to non-highlighted somewhere. On no other terminal cls resets highlight status. This changes user-visible behaviour.
0ca5375 Disable GRUB video support for IBM power machines

Are there IBM machines with display output or are they all servers? Can we be more fine-grained on disabling video?
2f3c666 Add support for UEFI operating systems returned by os-prober
I'm interested in this one but it's not in for-upstream.
05f2dc3 Make efi machines load an env block from a variable

1f1a695 Make "exit" take a return code.
I think that making exit behave differently on EFI is a bad thing. Look at how ridicoulous code for single-casing halt has got. No other platform uses exit with code either.

cb62c40 Mark po/exclude.pot as binary so git won't try to diff nonprintables.
I don't see it in for-upstream
e0bb91a Fix bzr's ignore artificats in .gitignore
This one looks generally good. I think Andrei's suggestion for split is reasonable but not absolutely required. Just tell me which way to commit it.
ecaecc9 Add some __unused__ where gcc 5.x is more picky about it.
don't see it
e704140 Move bash completion script (#922997)
Can we keep old directory in case of missing pkg-config?
bc5d351 Allow "fallback" to include entries by title, not just number.
I share Andrei's concerns
7401bf6 Honor a symlink when generating configuration by grub2-mkconfig
Cherry-picked it.
5212412 Fix bad test on GRUB_DISABLE_SUBMENU.
Don't see it.
73545c7 Add GRUB_DISABLE_UUID.
Don't see it

--