grub-devel

Re: Bugs and tasks for 2.02[~rc1]

From: Andrei Borzenkov
Subject: Re: Bugs and tasks for 2.02[~rc1]
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2016 07:57:35 +0300

08.03.2016 06:40, Michael Chang пишет:
> On Mon, Mar 07, 2016 at 05:01:33PM -0500, Peter Jones wrote:

>>> So you mean that linux loader is currently broken on EFI?
>>
>> None of the 3 OSes we produce ever uses it.  I don't know about what
>> other distros ship, but a lot of them are using the secure boot code by
>> default in all cases, so they're also going through the EFI stub.

SUSE allows switching off secure boot in YaST, this is relatively
popular advice to users to work around some problems and quite a lot of
users simply do not want to use SB at all (judging by forum posts). So
it gets at least some use in the wild.

>> My expectation is that on many systems it does work, but there are a lot
>> of corner cases where things are not quite right.  In those cases you'll
>> see problems like:
>>
>> - less total memory available than expected due to e820 vs efi memory
>>   map issues

Do you have pointers to real-life examples?

>> - the very real issue recently where grub set the type incorrectly on
>>   some memory map entries, resulting in NVDIMMs winding up being marked
>>   as normal allocatable memory.

Fixed in beta3.

>> - 64-bit kernel on 32-bit platform like Baytrail can't work

Do you mean "32 bit EFI"? If yes, why is it a problem?

>> - some machines we won't get the virtual address map right and e.g. UEFI
>>   variables just won't work

This sounds like bug in GRUB that needs fixing anyway.

>> It goes on like this.
>
> On the other hand, other grub2 functions like gfxpayload is broken with
> linuxefi, as efi stub would set screen_info from scratch by gop protocol
> and also linuxefi doesn't initialize it at all (as it seems not relevant
> for the efi stub).
>
> I think the switch to efi stub has to consider the existing grub.cfg
> could still service without changes and function regression, or we will
> end up in trouble of maintaining the config that is in continously
> running, espeically for those not created by grub-mkconfig.

Yes, any implementation should reuse as much of existing loader code as
possible and only change handover method.