grub-devel

Re: Bugs and tasks for 2.02[~rc1]

From: Peter Jones
Subject: Re: Bugs and tasks for 2.02[~rc1]
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2016 16:26:18 -0500

On Tue, Mar 08, 2016 at 12:08:22AM +0300, Andrei Borzenkov wrote:
> 08.03.2016 00:03, Peter Jones пишет:
>
> > I'm curious as to why you think "linux16" doesn't work for Linux,
> > though.  We use it 100% of the time in Fedora and RHEL, and upstream x86
> > kernel maintainers have expressed a preference for it.  Using "linux"
> > instead seems to break much more, for example EDD often does not ever
> > get exposed to the kernel when it's used.
> >

> Every now and then I thought about adding EDD to linux loader but as
> nobody actually complained I never felt like doing it. Not sure what it
> is used for as well. How knowing BIOS disk order is useful on Linux?

It's the only way to figure out which disks are okay candidates for
installing the boot loader.  Otherwise you're just rolling the dice.
(Not that EDD is that great, mind you...)

But this speaks to the wider issue of both this and the efi stub: in the
kernel, we're better off getting it directly from the firmware when
possible, rather than have it proxied through grub and a boot params
structure.  That's why the kernel has code to do this in the first
place.

The only thing marshaling it through a pile of structures in memory does
is introduce errors or missing data.  And it adds work coordinating what
goes in those structures.  It's not helpful unless there's a specific
reason to do it.

--
  Peter