grub-devel

Re: Bugs and tasks for 2.02[~rc1]

From: Peter Jones
Subject: Re: Bugs and tasks for 2.02[~rc1]
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2016 16:03:32 -0500

On Mon, Mar 07, 2016 at 07:57:21PM +0000, Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko wrote:

> > > Personally I'd rather include support for it. I'm tired of linux vs.
> > > linuxefi nightmare, and patches have been in the wild long enough.
> >
> > So what's the path forward, then?  Just make all efi use linuxefi, like
> > linux vs linux16?  That's pretty close to what I've got already, except
> > on arm where it's just "linux" in EFI mode as well.  But we could make
> > those aliases for the same thing on that platform easily enough.  Or do
> > you have something else in mind?
>
> RedHat/Fedora config is too platform-dependent and platform is detected at
> mkconfig time rather than at runtime. This is a problem as runtime and
> mkconfig can be different. Case that I see often is coreboot failing due to
> use of Linux16 (which is a valid protocol for coreboot and is used for
> memtest but Linux crashes with it) but other cases exist, like enabling or
> disabling of SCM or moving disk to another computer. Can we fix this by
> introducing some helper to detect it on runtime? It can either be a
> function or a real command

Yeah, we can do something in the config file based on a platform
variable, and then setting the actual commands that way.

I'm curious as to why you think "linux16" doesn't work for Linux,
though.  We use it 100% of the time in Fedora and RHEL, and upstream x86
kernel maintainers have expressed a preference for it.  Using "linux"
instead seems to break much more, for example EDD often does not ever
get exposed to the kernel when it's used.

--
  Peter