grub-devel

Re: [RFC] grub-install: allow none or multiple install devices on PC BIO

From: Michael Chang
Subject: Re: [RFC] grub-install: allow none or multiple install devices on PC BIOS
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2016 12:11:29 +0800

On Sat, Feb 13, 2016 at 10:29:58AM +0300, Andrei Borzenkov wrote:
> 12.05.2015 18:22, Michael Chang пишет:
> > On Tue, May 12, 2015 at 02:57:00PM +0300, Andrei Borzenkov wrote:
> >> В Tue, 12 May 2015 18:52:22 +0800

> >> Actually I think it is useful for all platforms.
> >
> > As it works across all platform, os-prober should consider chanloading
> > core images if possible rather than digging into grub configs. Is there
> > any plan for that ?
> >

> At least on EFI it is not possible to chainload GRUB from /boot until it

I'm skeptical to this. From what I know it's possible because grub's efi
chainloader reads efi image via it's own filesystem support, so that it
did not limited by what firmware could offer. And LoadImage can accept
SourceBuffer as an option to pass the pointer of loaded image buffer
directly.

Honestly I didn't really test it, but glancing at the source code it
sounds promoising to work to me.

Thanks,
Michael