grub-devel

Re: strip --strip-unneeded adds back section symbols

From: Nick Clifton
Subject: Re: strip --strip-unneeded adds back section symbols
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2016 11:34:43 +0000

Hi Andrei,

It appears that recent binutils (earliest version I have is 2.24)
unconditionally add back section symbols when copying sections.

Please could you file a bug report about this in the binutils bugzilla system:

https://sourceware.org/bugzilla/

I verified that filter_symbols() in strip actually removes everything
from source module, and symbol table reappears deep in call chain
initiated by copy_section(), where STT_SECTION is unconditionally
added for every present section.

Was this change intentional?

Yes and no.  The change to add a section symbol to any newly created section
was intentional.  This is helpful for a variety of reasons, not least being
able to create relocations against that symbol.

The side effect of adding a symbol when actually trying to strip unneeded
symbols was unintentional, and is a bug.  I have not investigated yet, but I
suspect that the simplest solution will be to make strip rerun its symbol
removing pass after having copied all of the sections.

Cheers
  Nick