grub-devel

Re: enable_progress_indicator

From: Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko
Subject: Re: enable_progress_indicator
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 2016 17:38:21 +0100

On 06.01.2016 12:27, Andrei Borzenkov wrote:
> Do we really need yet another magic variable? Tests already set
> "grubshell", and in normal case why would one load progress but then
> disable it?
>
> Why progress gets loaded in the first place? Can we somehow omit it?

emu loads all the modules. And we use emu to generate checksums.h. So
unless we disable progress on it, all of our golden images will have it
which would be bad.
Before this variable there was no way of disabling progress once module
is loaded (I wouldn't recommend unloading any modules currently). So
it's probably good to have some way of disabling it when need be
independently of tests. We may also want to have tests specifically for
progress (we'll have to mock out the timer for this), so it doesn't seem
like grubshell is the right variable to check.