grub-devel

Re: State of ARM port

From: Andrei Borzenkov
Subject: Re: State of ARM port
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 2015 20:22:59 +0300

https://www.marc.info/?l=u-boot&m=140881607132099&w=2
http://lists.denx.de/pipermail/u-boot/2015-October/229915.html (full thread)

https://github.com/openSUSE/perl-bootloader/pull/81#issuecomment-158543744

>> 2. GRUB requires patching for each board to set valid link address
>
> Yeah :(
>
>> 3. some general issues on specific boards
>
> Hmm?
>
>> 1 requires active commitment from U-Boot community, apparently it is
>> lacking. To properly fix 2 we need relocation support in U-Boot; which
>> again returns us to "GRUB not being interesting to U-Boot community" :)
>
> No, 2 would be totally fixable in GRUB. It would just take someone
> actually making the grub kernel position independent. And I haven't
> managed to find the time in the past two years...
>
>> 3 depends on motivation to debug and fix issues; as long as GRUB is not
>> considered there is none.
>>
>> So what should we do with this port?
>
> Unsure.
>
> I have had people start asking me for the arm64 variant, but if the

arm64 EFI grub port is used as standard in openSUSE. Only U-Boot
platforms are moving away.

Or do you mean arm64 U-Boot?