grub-devel

Re: Grub get and set efi variables

From: Andrei Borzenkov
Subject: Re: Grub get and set efi variables
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2015 07:03:01 +0300

13.11.2015 22:42, Ignat Korchagin пишет:
+static enum efi_var_type
+parse_efi_var_type (const char *type)
+{
+  if (!grub_strncmp (type, "string", sizeof("string")))
+    return EFI_VAR_STRING;
+

I think this should be "ascii" or "utf8". "string" is too ambiguous in UEFI
environment, it can also mean sequence of UCS-2 characters.
I'm still not sure how exactly GRUB + UEFI interprets "raw buffers"
when printing. Maybe, to avoid confusion, it might be better to
completely remove this option. Basically, you do not want to interpret
raw buffers as strings. For best compatibility "hex" mode should be
promoted, I guess. What do you think?
Checked again the UEFI spec. For globally defined variables which are
strings they specify ASCII. So if we leave this option, ascii is the
best name.

What about

- ascii - print ASCII characters verbatim, escape non-ASCII in usual way (similar to "od -c")

  - raw - simply put raw variable without any interpretation.

This is better aligned with argument describing output formatting rather than attempting to "type" variable.

Alternative (or in addition to) ascii - dump which prints usual pretty hex dump of content (hexdump -C). This is handy to interactively look at variable content.

Or, and change name from --type to --format :)