grub-devel

Re: cryptodisk enabled returns to rescue prompt

From: Andrei Borzenkov
Subject: Re: cryptodisk enabled returns to rescue prompt
Date: Sat, 7 Nov 2015 10:28:38 +0300

07.11.2015 07:13, westlake пишет:
enabling GRUB_ENABLE_CRYPTODISK=y has crypt prompting only once on
bootup, is it possible to have an option with grub-install or another
option here with GRUB_EMABLE_CRYPTODISK so that the keypass prompts in a
loop? (a wrong passphrase typed brings the user to a grub rescue shell
and has to issue ctl-alt-delete which is imho not very presentable to

You need to just do

cryptomount -u xxxxxxxxxxx
normal

I am not convinced that being stuck in password entry loop is better. May be a command that retries to execute embedded config and enter normal may be useful.

staff) -- I understand this is all in mbr bootcode so I suppose the best
place to implement this would be when first generating the code in order
to keep it small.

it would be imho really great if this can be implemented

There was suggested patch that allowed multiple password entry attempts for LUKS. It was a part of patch series that implemented other things. May be it could be reconsidered if rebased to not depend on other changes.