grub-devel

Re: Anonymous commit (empty Author and Committer)

From: Jeff King
Subject: Re: Anonymous commit (empty Author and Committer)
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2015 13:01:03 -0400

On Fri, Oct 30, 2015 at 05:26:00PM +0300, Andrei Borzenkov wrote:

> See
> http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/grub.git/commit/?id=206676601eb853fc319df14cd3398fbdfde665ac
>
> I was not even aware that this is possible. Is there anything on server side
> that can prevent it?

I would have thought that receive.fsckObjects would reject it, but seems
that git-fsck does not complain about it at all, as it is otherwise
syntactically valid (a space separating the zero-length name from the
email, and <> surrounding the empty email).

We do complain during "git commit" about an empty name. We don't seem to
do so for blank emails, though. The only discussion I could find
mentions that should probably disallow both[1].

I wonder how this commit was created in the first place (through
git-commit, and we have an empty-name case that is not covered, or using
a lower-level tool that bypasses the checks).

-Peff

[1] http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git/261237