grub-devel

Re: grub-lnstall option (UEFI) for chainloading

From: Andrei Borzenkov
Subject: Re: grub-lnstall option (UEFI) for chainloading
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2015 12:31:54 +0300

On Tue, Sep 8, 2015 at 12:39 AM, Barry Jackson <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 06/06/15 09:38, Andrei Borzenkov wrote:
>>
>> В Fri, 05 Jun 2015 14:56:20 +0100
>> Barry Jackson <address@hidden> пишет:
>

>>> Any progress on this?
>>>

>> Not really, sorry. Do you have any suggestion how such option should be
>> named?
>>

> Sorry for delay - this got lost in the noise.
>
> Well something like --no-id-or-nvram ??
>
> Not really bothered about the name! :)

I was about to suggest a patch when I realized that this probably is
currently useless on EFI. I.e. to actually chainload grub on EFI it
must reside on a partition accessible by firmware which practically
means it should be ESP.

Unless someone submits patch to make grub2 EFI core.img multiboot2
compliant with tag to skip ExitBootServices.

Does chainloading from /boot/grub actually work for you on EFI? Could
you explain your configuration in more details?