grub-devel

Re: GNU GRUB maintenance

From: Fajar A. Nugraha
Subject: Re: GNU GRUB maintenance
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 2015 13:24:50 +0700

On Thu, Oct 8, 2015 at 6:02 AM, Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko
<address@hidden> wrote:
> On 07.10.2015 23:36, SevenBits wrote:

>>     What other systems would be ok? It
>>     obviously has to be a free software and hosted on free software-friendly
>>     hosting. It also has to have an efficient 1-click merge (so that someone
>>     with privileges can get any patch submitted to the system merged in
>>     couple of clicks).
>>

>> I know that git is pretty popular...
>>
> Git integration is a plus. Like gerrit: git based with a review system
> on top of it.

Is "has to be a free software" an absolute requirement?

Github, the web, is not open source. However it uses git, adds
features (like the "1-click merge" and organization), and free (to
use) for open source projects.

Some open source projects hosted on github (and use the organization feature):
https://github.com/zfsonlinux
https://github.com/freeradius

Some open source projects using github as mirror:
https://help.github.com/articles/about-github-mirrors/

Github help on web-based pull request:
https://help.github.com/articles/using-pull-requests/
https://help.github.com/articles/merging-a-pull-request/

The downside with github that I can think of, is that for efficient
use of the "1-click merge" web interface, the pull request must be
created from the github interface (and the discussion will happen
there as well), as opposed to in the mailing list like what currently
happen. Then again, if the intention is simply to provide
"notification to the mailing list" (and no need to allow discussion
participation FROM the mailing list on the pull requests), you could
probably work around that by having a normal git account with
mailing-list address "watching" your repository.

--
Fajar