grub-devel

Re: Development practices?

From: Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk
Subject: Re: Development practices?
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2015 11:34:53 -0400

. snip..

> >>Not much changes as far as I can tell.
> >
> >OK.
> >
> >What qualifies as needing an review? Personal preference by
> >the patch author?
> >

> I suppose, common sense. When I was given commit access, it was for
> "committing after review" so I still sent all patches to the list. Then it
> happened that Vladimir dropped off list for a long time and I tried to pick
> up obvious bug fixes from list or bug tracker to keep things going.
>
> I would say, any non-trivial bug fix or feature change needs to be posted
> first.
>
> I would love to have every patch posted and reviewed bug given current level
> of activity it is simply unrealistic.

I see. From my perspective we are paid to work on the hobbies (Xen, Linux, etc)
so the activity level is high since we have 8 hours a day to focus on it
(minus bug activities, lunch, etc).

While GRUB2 is all volunteer with whatever time can be spared?

What if the companies that employ the committers allowed one day a week
to focus on GRUB2 review/maintaince/etc? Would that help?

Or is it unrealistic to expect that from committers employer's?