grub-devel

Re: Development practices?

From: Andrei Borzenkov
Subject: Re: Development practices?
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2015 18:16:46 +0300

11.09.2015 17:48, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk пишет:
On Fri, Sep 11, 2015 at 05:34:45PM +0300, Andrei Borzenkov wrote:
09.09.2015 20:47, Felix Zielcke пишет:
Am Dienstag, den 08.09.2015, 13:57 -0400 schrieb Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk:
On Thu, Sep 03, 2015 at 03:34:29PM -0400, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk
wrote:

I don't know enough about the community (or the history) to
understand it but would very much appreciate input.
And if I have offended somebody with my questions + feeble
analysis: my deepest apologies - and please straighten me out!

 From what I have gathered so far the not enough reviewers
is tied in folks being overworked - so there simply was no
point of posting on the mailing list as nobody had the time
to review it or test it properly?

Hi Konrad,

back in 2008/2009 (when Marco Gerards gave over Maintainance to Robert
Millan) there were indeed not much people actively reviewing code.

Active people on the mailing list was just given commit access. It was
expected that they only commit stuff without posting which doesn't need
a review and complies with the rules back at that time.

Due to me missing a few years on the mailing list, I can't tell you
unfortunately how it compares to today.

Not much changes as far as I can tell.

OK.

What qualifies as needing an review? Personal preference by
the patch author?

I suppose, common sense. When I was given commit access, it was for "committing after review" so I still sent all patches to the list. Then it happened that Vladimir dropped off list for a long time and I tried to pick up obvious bug fixes from list or bug tracker to keep things going.

I would say, any non-trivial bug fix or feature change needs to be posted first.

I would love to have every patch posted and reviewed bug given current level of activity it is simply unrealistic.

Thank you for answering my questions!