grub-devel

Re: GRUB release schedule?

From: Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk
Subject: Re: GRUB release schedule?
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2015 14:41:57 -0400

On Fri, Aug 21, 2015 at 09:24:33PM +0300, Andrei Borzenkov wrote:
> 21.08.2015 20:11, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk пишет:

> >>I'd like to +1 this.  I think the tests are important for sure, but there's
> >>no reason we can't set a release cadence and at least cut an -rc1 and spend
> >>some time fixing up the test failures.  Facebook is going to be using grub2
> >>in our provisioning environment, we would like to have official builds
> >>rather than running from git.  Thanks,
> >
> >What is the tests that are needed? Surely as different distros we could
> >pool some hardware together to make this work?
> >
> >What do GRUB maintainers think are the top tests that are needed and
> >on what architectures? And do you have any ideas on how to automate it?
> >>

> GRUB includes comprehensive amount of regression tests. Just run "make
> check". The practical problems are
>
> - many tests require additional tools (filesystem tests need at least mkfs
> for respective file system, LVM etc)
>
> - each platform must be built separately; that requires either native system
> or cross tools (which itself may not be trivial). So I e.g. am limited to
> x86
>
> - tests are not really formalized, you get PASS/FAIL but what failed is up
> to human to understand
>
> - some tests require server part, e.g. to run anything involving HTTP server
> must be available
>
> - some tests are pretty heavy hit; it is better now when I have new hardware
> still I cannot dream running them continuously on my notebook ...
>
> Of course addition to regression testing is always welcome.

Lets start with a list of priorities:
 - What are the most important platforms after x86?
 - What are the most important tests that MUST PASS all the time?
 - Which ones have been FAILing for years?

Surely if we weed out the most important cases that cover 99% that will
give the foundation for going out with a release?