grub-devel

Re: i386-pc target and no block lists

From: Lennart Sorensen
Subject: Re: i386-pc target and no block lists
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2015 15:11:32 -0400

On Fri, Aug 14, 2015 at 08:22:28PM +0300, Andrei Borzenkov wrote:

> On 14.08.2015 19:44, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> >
> >Certainly Debian by default installs grub to the MBR (aka the disk),
> >not to the partition.  I would be surprised if any other distribution
> >does it differently.
> >

> openSUSE suggests partition by default. It makes sense for dual boot with
> Windows as it allows easy switch between them (Windows gets rather upset
> during updates installation when boot configuration changes).

I have not had an issue with that in years.  10 years ago I would agree
and I did use the partition back then, but I even managed to upgrade
from windows 7 to windows 10 on my dual boot system and windows didn't
even blink and left grub in charge much to my surprise.

So if openSUSE suggest the partition, then they are very out of date
and making a bad recomendation.

--
Len Sorensen