grub-devel

Re: Changing default keyboard layout

From: Andrei Borzenkov
Subject: Re: Changing default keyboard layout
Date: Sun, 9 Aug 2015 16:19:07 +0300

Please in future send such mails to grub-devel or open bug on savannah.

В Sat, 8 Aug 2015 19:36:58 +0200
Hervé Werner <address@hidden> пишет:

> Hello
>
> I'm trying to change the default US keyboard layout on
> Grub2 but I don't manage to get it working. Here is basically what I did
>  :
> $ ckbcomp fr bepo |grub-mklayout -v -o /boot/grub/bepo.gkb
>
> and then I added these lines :
>
> terminal_input at_keyboard
> insmod keylayouts
> keymap /boot/grub/bepo.gkb
>
> After running grub-mkconfig, grub.cfg looks fine. Unfortunately at boot the
> layout is still qwerty.

I can't reproduce it, at least in QEMU (grub build for i386-pc).

> I'm using Grub version 2.02~beta2-22 as shipped by Debian.
>
> There is a bug reported on Debian :
> https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=741464 but unfortunately it
> is still pending.

This bug is not clear, but I notice that at least in QEMU interrupt is
not disabled after startup and we never explicitly do it either. So
grub may race with BIOS for input characters. The commands mentioned in
this bug report (outb 0x64 0x60 ; outb 0x60 0x64) effectively disable
keyboard interrupt.

@Marco: would you be willing to test a patch that does it by default?

> I also stubbled upon similar bugs pertaining to other distros so it looks
> like a global issue though I did not find anything on Grub BTS.
>

> I'm looking for help pertaining this issue.

Well, you will need to debug this, as I said, I cannot reproduce it and
bug report you mentioned does not show any debug information either. If
you are willing to compile your grub, we could add debug output to
verify what you actually get from controller.