grub-devel

Re: Cryptomount enhancements - revised

From: John Lane
Subject: Re: Cryptomount enhancements - revised
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2015 07:48:41 +0100

On 28/07/15 22:38, Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko wrote:

> Other than 3 and 5 they require difficult configuration. Mapping
> devices in GRUB isn't trivial. Those features are difficult to
> autoconfigure. Consider "plain" mode: how will you find which disk is
> yours when you have 5 disks all looking as random data?

I don't see what's difficult about providing a LUKs header and key but I
am aware of the issue re device identification in plain mode. However,
if one has a use-case for these crypto routines then I think that would
be a valid use-case for manually configuring grub.cfg if it's beyond
what autoconfiguration supports. If an end user wants to make the choice
then why deny him, just because it may be difficult to autoconfigure ?

There does seem to be interest in this functionality. Surely
auto-configuration would't be a bar to supporting this? I don't think I
am the only one who thinks these features are useful...

Regarding device identification, I had some thoughts on that and was
willing to try implementing something. However I wanted to put this
patch-set to bed before starting on something else.