grub-devel

Re: GRUB release schedule?

From: Andrei Borzenkov
Subject: Re: GRUB release schedule?
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2015 13:59:17 +0300

On Fri, Jul 24, 2015 at 11:03 AM, Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko
<address@hidden> wrote:

> Le 24 juil. 2015 06:20, "Andrei Borzenkov" <address@hidden> a écrit :
>>
>> В Mon, 20 Jul 2015 14:22:45 -0400
>> Peter Jones <address@hidden> пишет:
>>
>> > Hi everyone,
>> > Is there a plan for when upcoming GNU GRUB releases will happen?
>> >
>> > As far as I can tell, the last official release on
>> > ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/grub/ was 2.00 on 28-Jun-2012, and the last beta
>> > on http://alpha.gnu.org/pub/gnu/grub/ for the next version was
>> > 2.02~beta2 on 24-Dec-2013 .  There are (give or take) 471 patches
>> > committed since that beta 18 months ago.
>> >
>> > In the mean time, nearly every Linux distro is shipping a package
>> > derived from the 2.02~beta2 release plus some number of patches,
>> > some from the upstream repo and some not, and it's cumbersome to rectify
>> > which ones aren't upstream vs which ones have been fixed upstream with
>> > /nearly/ the same patch, etc., with all the noise of so many patches
>> > since the release.
>> >
>> > I suspect this would be better for a lot of GRUB users if releases
>> > happened on a regular schedule, or if, relatively often (say once or
>> > twice per year), a release schedule that spans several weeks and
>> > organized some kind of alpha->beta->release progression were decided
>> > upon and followed.
>> >
>> > So, can we make a release process that happens according to some regular
>> > cadence?  What needs to be done to make regular releases happen?
>>
>> Apart from having more active contributors? :) Automating build and
>> regression tests would definitely help it.
>>
> Actually there is something more useful: code review system like gerrit.
> Does Savannah have one?

It does not look so. Wikipedia says "yes" but author probably confused
initial project code review with normal collaboration.

Savannah seems to offer build farm for GNU projects; according to it

Currently it can build software on GNU/Linux (i686 and x86_64) as well
as FreeBSD, Darwin, Solaris, and Cygwin, and can cross-build for
GNU/Hurd, GNU/Linux on other architectures, and MinGW.

Is github mirror together with gerrithub an option?