grub-devel

Re: Help output inconsistency: -v vs. -V

From: Ben Hildred
Subject: Re: Help output inconsistency: -v vs. -V
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2015 11:04:39 -0600

On Tue, Jun 30, 2015 at 3:13 AM, Thomas Schmitt <address@hidden> wrote:
>  So, "-V for --version and -v for --verbose" works for me.
Have another endorsement from me, no charge.
<snip>
I personally would drop "-V" as grub-mkrescue option. It
collides with the traditional option set of mkisofs, which is
in use by many scripts for bootable ISOs.
Consuming it by grub-mkrescue would hamper the migration
from such scripts to grub-mkrescue.
Seconded.

Well, "--version" collides with the mkisofs-ish option set,
too. But i cannot think of a use case which needs to print
the version information in the course of ISO production.

 the one time when using grub-mkrescue where you would want to pass the --version to the underlying tools is when you are using --version anyway. How about when you run grub-mkrescue --version, it also calls the tools with --version so you get something like :

grub-mkrescue (GRUB) 2.02~beta2-23 using /usr/bin/xorriso:
xorriso 1.3.2 : RockRidge filesystem manipulator, libburnia project.

mkisofs 2.01-Emulation Copyright (C) 2013 see libburnia-project.org xorriso
xorriso 1.3.2
ISO 9660 Rock Ridge filesystem manipulator and CD/DVD/BD burn program
Copyright (C) 2013, Thomas Schmitt <address@hidden>, libburnia project.
xorriso version   :  1.3.2
Version timestamp :  2013.08.07.110001
Build timestamp   :  -none-given-
libisofs   in use :  1.3.2  (min. 1.3.2)
libjte     in use :  1.0.0  (min. 1.0.0)
libburn    in use :  1.3.2  (min. 1.3.2)
libburn OS adapter:  internal GNU/Linux SG_IO adapter sg-linux
libisoburn in use :  1.3.2  (min. 1.3.2)
Provided under GNU GPL version 2 or later.

This would make debugging easier in some cases. Also notice I included the path to the executable being used, which also helps with path issues.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas