grub-devel

Re: grub rescue read or write sector outside of partition

From: Fajar A. Nugraha
Subject: Re: grub rescue read or write sector outside of partition
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2015 15:21:09 +0700

On Fri, Jun 26, 2015 at 7:33 AM, Dale Carstensen <address@hidden> wrote:
> Somewhere I found that grub rescue has only a few commands, none
> of them "help" or a list of commands, and no TAB-expansions.
> Well, they seem to be ls, set, unset and insmod.  Supposedly,
> running insmod normal, then normal, will get back to the
> fuller set of commands with help, but that's where it gets
> the "outside of partition" error, it seems.

You could include the modules you want in grub image so you can get
tab expansion even when you got dropped to grub rescue prompt. Or
include whole bunch of modules so you can boot even without the module
directory. Some modules will be automatically included as dependency
of another module, so for example if you include "ls" then "normal"
will automatically be included

This is what I use:

grub-install --modules="all_video help cat echo ls search test
part_gpt part_msdos loopback fat ntfscomp ext2 btrfs xfs zfsinfo
iso9660 configfile linux chain boot" /dev/sda

--
Fajar