grub-devel

Re: core/partmap: Add El Torito boot catalog parsing

From: Thomas Schmitt
Subject: Re: core/partmap: Add El Torito boot catalog parsing
Date: Mon, 08 Jun 2015 21:31:21 +0200

Hi,

Andrei Borzenkov wrote:
> > Drive current: -indev '/datastore/iso/openSUSE-13.2-DVD-x86_64.iso'
> > [...]
> > You may consider using xorriso to create image, it does quite good job
> > with hybrid images.

Thanks for the compliment. (The openSUSE ISOs are not made by
xorriso, though, but rather by genisoimage, isohybrid, and
a head transplantation to make MBR partition 2 mountable,
if i remember correctly my curious research about
openSUSE-13.1-NET-x86_64.iso.)

Ross Lagerwall wrote:
> Yes I have tried, and I made a video of it :-)
> See that GRUB is not able to access (cd0,msdos2), which is the embedded
> FAT partition.

The trick of the others could be to let the GRUB2 software
from ESP look up and use the GRUB2 stuff in a directory of
the ISO.
So GRUB2 booted via UEFI from CD does not need to access
the ESP by own means.

A user once explained me his setup and mentioned that
he runs grub-mkimage with "--config=", "iso9660" and "search",
and that the "embedded grub.cfg" looks like
  search.fs_label RECOVERY root
  set prefix=($root)/boot/grub

Have a nice day :)

Thomas