grub-devel

Re: [RFC] grub-install: allow none or multiple install devices on PC BIO

From: Michael Chang
Subject: Re: [RFC] grub-install: allow none or multiple install devices on PC BIOS
Date: Tue, 12 May 2015 18:52:22 +0800

On Fri, May 08, 2015 at 09:53:41PM +0300, Andrei Borzenkov wrote:
> There are two main applications.
>
> 1. Omit install device to create generic image intended for chainloading
> from other master loader. Such image can be put on any device (or file
> system) and will still be able to find its $root. Currently even with
> --no-bootsector grub-install optimizes image by skipping UUID search if
> possible.
>
> 2. Redundant installation on multi-device filesystem, RAID or similar.
> This allows both optimizing image w.r.t. to using --prefix vs. load.cfg
> as well as creating image just once.

I can only tell it to solve the problem of time wasting in copying
modules and images creation due to multiple invocation of grub-install
for doing redundency install. Beside that, do you foresee any other
improvement it can provide?

> Patch allows transparently use none or multiple installation devices,
> similar to
>
> grub_devices="/dev/sda /dev/sda1 /dev/sdb"

It also looks to me that this patch can solve the problem of multiple
device install with blocklists. Think about the user installs to mbr
(sda) and partition (sda1) because he someshow wants the paritition to
be chainload-able for resuce or for any of his own interests.

If the user occasionally do.

grub-install /dev/sda1 grub-install /dev/sda

The chainload will fail for sda1 since later install to mbr replaces the
core.img.

You patch can avoid such pit-fall by doing it once.

> grub-install $grub_devices

What if one of the device failed, should it continue installing the rest
or abort immediately ?

Thanks,
Michael