grub-devel

Re: passing options to grub in xen,openfirmware and efi

From: Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko
Subject: Re: passing options to grub in xen,openfirmware and efi
Date: Fri, 8 May 2015 12:57:53 +0200

On May 8, 2015 12:10 PM, "Olaf Hering" <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Thu, May 07, Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko wrote:
>
> > most other firmwares like EFI or BIOS look for boot image at hardcoded
> > place e.g. MBR or ESP at predefined locations or uses NVRAM. The trouble
> > with passing this info from dom0 is that it's difficult to discover for
> > grub-install where to put image, in some cases this would even make
> > install impossible without modifying dom0. I feel like location which
> > changes all the time would create more confusion that hardcoded location
> > (E.g. I ran grub-install but my system still uses old GRUB)
>
> What do you expect from grub-install in a PV guest? Whatever it does
> today its result will be a noop. All that needs to be done is to write
> /boot/grub2/grub.cfg. In a PV guest grub2 is the firmware (kernel= in
> domU.cfg), and the NVRAM is the cmdline (extra= in domU.cfg).

That's not the plan which is pushed by xen guys. They propose to make grub stored on dom0 to just load grub from a predefined place in domU. This I.a. allows easier upgrade of bootloader for distros as they don't have to worry about dom0 having very old grub.
Also if cmdline is nvram then please tell me how to modify it from domU.