grub-devel

Re: how to add a new platform support with GRUB2

From: derek yuan
Subject: Re: how to add a new platform support with GRUB2
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2015 08:55:24 +0800

Thank you so much! Your advice is very helpful to me, I will have a try.

---- On Tue, 14 Apr 2015 18:49:13 +0800 Andrei Borzenkov<address@hidden> wrote ----
В Tue, 14 Apr 2015 17:25:15 +0800
derek yuan <address@hidden> пишет:

> Hi, all:
> I want to add Loongson3A+RS780E platform to grub, what i have to do? where to begin?
> More information about this platform:
> CPU: loongson3A (mips64el)
> NorthBridge: RS780E
> SourthBridge: SB710
>
> Right now, grub supported loongson2F+cs5536 platform, loongson2F also the mips64el arch.
>
> Thank you so much!
> Best regards!
>
> Derek

There are some comments indicating at least partial Loongson 3A
support. The main question is whether you can determine platform
at run time or not. If yes, just extend existing platform files. If
not, it probably can be implemented by building platform specific
module and selecting it at grub-mkimage/grub-install time.

Looks at loongson directories first

address@hidden:~/src/grub> find grub-core include -name loongson
grub-core/boot/mips/loongson
grub-core/kern/mips/loongson
grub-core/commands/mips/loongson
grub-core/lib/mips/loongson
include/grub/mips/loongson

as well as grub-core/Makefile.core.def (for definitions how they all
are put together) as well as util/mkimage.c (that actually generates
grub image).