grub-devel

Re: grub-lnstall option (UEFI) for chainloading

From: Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko
Subject: Re: grub-lnstall option (UEFI) for chainloading
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2015 11:32:47 +0200

On 29.03.2015 15:12, Andrei Borzenkov wrote:
В Sun, 29 Mar 2015 13:11:04 +0100
Barry Jackson <address@hidden> пишет:

Hello,
Currently when installing grub2 on UEFI, the running system's grub2
writes an entry to the ESP making it the controlling grub.

Can an option to grub2-install be added that installs only to
/boot/grub2 and creates core.efi, but does *not* write into the ESP?

This would provide similar functionality to the --no-bootsector option
used in PC-BIOS systems for using a Master grub partition that
chainloads into multiple operating systems.

Yes, for a long time I cherish idea of "only update /boot/grub and
create core.img" option. May be something like generic

--no-platform-setup

that will simply exit after image is created. --no-nvram is too
specific name to roll this into it. We can then deprecate
--no-bootsector and --no-nvram (actually as --no-bootsector is new just
drop it).

GRUB already has --no-nvram for EFI.
--no-nvram has different meaning than what you describe. --no-nvram still copies all the files to their target destinations, in EFI case to ESP, just doesn't register them in NVRAM. It's useful if you want to fix GRUB setup on another computer by plugging its disk in USB enclosure. I'm unclear about which semantics you want. Should --no-platform-setup still put boot.img to $prefix/i386-pc ? Probably yes, but it's already part of platform-dependent install. Should we split the switch (platform) in grub-install to 2 switches then ?
Vladimir, will you agree to a patch?