grub-devel

Re: Live-ISO's over PXE+HTTP using loopback

From: Beeblebrox
Subject: Re: Live-ISO's over PXE+HTTP using loopback
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2015 15:15:22 +0200

I got the Gparted ISO to boot, although in a bit roun-about way:

menuentry 'Gparted i386' {
  set root="http,192.168.2.100"
  set isofile="gparted-live-0.19.0-beta1-3-i486.iso"
  loopback loop0 ($root)$isofile
  linux (loop0)/live/vmlinuz boot=live config noswap noprompt verbose noeject
fetch=http://192.168.2.100/gparted-live-0.19.0-beta1-3-i486.iso
  initrd (loop0)/live/initrd.img  }

I did not use these, since the ISO boots witout them: toram=filesystem.squashfs
fromiso=gparted-live-0.19.0-beta1-3-i486.iso

Just to confirm I've got this in my head correctly: It's not possible to
partially load a live-CD.iso with the PXE method, unless using NFS or other
block device. In absence of NFS/cifs or such, the entire iso must be loaded
into RAM. Am I correct with this statement?

Yet, A similar ISO (Debian based) with below config fails due to no netboot or
nfsmount, and does not try to fetch the ISO from the http server like it does
in the above case. This ISO also has its own grub menu. Would it be possible to
fetch the ISO then chainload to the grub inside the ISO? I'm probably
overlooking something when asking this question...

menuentry "Inquisitor 3.1B-amd64" {
  set root="http,192.168.2.100"
  set isofile="inq-live-3.1beta2-amd64-debian.iso"
  loopback loop0 ($root)$path$isofile
  linux (loop0)/live/vmlinuz-2.6.26-2-amd64 boot=live config noswap noprompt
verbose noeject noautologin union=aufs
fetch=http://192.168.2.100/pub/tftp/rescue/inq-live-3.1beta2-amd64-debian.iso
toram=filesystem.squashfs
  initrd (loop0)/live/initrd.img-2.6.26-2-amd64  }