grub-devel

Re: About the CLI of both grub-mkrescue versions

From: Thomas Schmitt
Subject: Re: About the CLI of both grub-mkrescue versions
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2014 11:55:30 +0100

Hi,

Vladimir Serbinenko:
> I think that old parser is better. The only reason the change happened
> is that it's a bug that sneaked in during migration to C. It should be
> fixed.

Andrei Borzenkov:
> [...] Nor do I actually like "pass anything you
> do not understand" - it has potential to break if grub-mkrescue gets
> new options.

I agree that it is a bug to make incompatible changes to the
grub-mkirescue CLI. But i also agree that this CLI is sub-optimal
in respect to future compatibility. It's just that i do not deem
sub-optimality a valid excuse for breaking interfaces.

Therefore my proposal to freeze grub-mkrescue CLI and to have
a new CLI with a new program name, while maintaining a common
backend for both CLI parsers.

> It is near to impossible to emulate old behavior using argp

What would be the advantage of using argp for the old CLI ?
The C version of the old CLI has the goal to be as compatible
as possible. It is straightforward to translate the shell code
of grub-mkrescue.in into equivalent C code.

Regardless which parser implementation gets chosen, there remains
the problem of the not yet implemented options from grub-mkrescue.in:

> >   printc (_("Not supported any more are:"));
> >   printc (_("        --modules , --grub-mkimage , --override-directory"));

Are their use cases obsolete ?
Shall their valid use cases be covered by other tools ?

Have a nice day :)

Thomas