grub-devel

Re: Switching to another boot device on failure

From: Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko
Subject: Re: Switching to another boot device on failure
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2014 21:24:23 +0200

On 20.11.2014 15:38, Venkata Subbarao wrote:
> Once again Thank you Andrei.
> Modified the grub source and added grub_exit (). After this BIOS booted
> from next device.
>
> I am now working on a solution where if the UUID present in the grub.cfg
> goes bad.
> One way I am thinking is to check the CRC of the grub.cfg and other
> image files required for booting. This may be bit lengthy.
> Let me know if you have suggestions.

What is the scenario you want to protect against? checksums are mainly
useful against hardware failure but if hardware is defective the only
way to surely bring it back is to replace failing components.
The most common way for UUID to go unsync is because of software or
operator error and both are likely to recompute checksum or change
actual disk UUID without changing grub.cfg.