grub-devel

Re: Switching to another boot device on failure

From: Venkata Subbarao
Subject: Re: Switching to another boot device on failure
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2014 18:59:35 +0530

I purposefully modified grub.cfg and changed the UUID in the line starts with "linux /boot/vmlinuz...... root=UUID=XXXX"
Ended up in the (initramfs) prompt because such partition is not present. Hence, I was thinking of checking CRC.

Thanks and Regards,
Subbarao

On Thu, Nov 20, 2014 at 10:53 PM, Andrei Borzenkov <address@hidden> wrote:
В Thu, 20 Nov 2014 19:08:10 +0530
Venkata Subbarao <address@hidden> пишет:

> Once again Thank you Andrei.
> Modified the grub source and added grub_exit (). After this BIOS booted
> from next device.
>
> I am now working on a solution where if the UUID present in the grub.cfg
> goes bad.
> One way I am thinking is to check the CRC of the grub.cfg and other image
> files required for booting. This may be bit lengthy.
> Let me know if you have suggestions.

grub supports automatic signature verification for files; in case of
mismatch file open fails. Does it help?