grub-devel

Re: IDE compilation

From: SevenBits
Subject: Re: IDE compilation
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2014 11:23:33 -0500

On Tuesday, November 18, 2014, Michael Heng <address@hidden> wrote:
Hello,

I want to know what a IDE do you all use? I just have download the grub 2 project. Can you advise me how to setting up eclipse to import as a project, how can I debug it?

Please, don't post mail in HTML format. That's not good manners.

As I stated to you on help-grub, low-level projects like GRUB are typically built without IDEs, as they can get in the way. In you want to debug, use a hardware debugger or go old school and use print statements. It's surprisingly effective, considering you can't typically develop code the "normal" way with a boot loader as low-level as GRUB.

There is limited for x86 debugging with gdb, but this isn't documented all that well (GRUB's documentation is falling behind).

Kindly regards

Michael