grub-devel

Re: About the CLI of both grub-mkrescue versions

From: Thomas Schmitt
Subject: Re: About the CLI of both grub-mkrescue versions
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2014 18:52:55 +0200

Hi,

Andrei Borzenkov wrote:

> Care to send a patch for both help output and documentation?

First one should decide whether the incompatible CLI change
is really intentional.

If the change is intentional, there should be some assistance
to those people who based their scripts on the old behavior.
A decision would be needed about the desired grade of assistance.

me:

Andrei Borzenkov wrote:
> It won't work. Unknown options are detected before user parser is
> called; user parser never sees them.

I see.
If the change is not intentional, then an own parser would be
needed. More or less what the shell code of old grub-mkrescue
does. Not an overly demanding task.

Don't get me wrong. I will support what gets decided.
If new features are needed in xorriso: no problem, just ask
for them.

Nevertheless, the current state of the change is inconsistent.
Implementation and documentation contradict. The most recent
statement known to me from Vladimir indicated that he was still
undecided, back then.

I posted here because i encountered a legacy script which
equips a Linux distro by either GRUB-legacy or by ISOLINUX 4.
The ISOLINUX part is easy to update to version 5 or 6. Just
one more file to copy into the /isolinux directory.

The legacy GRUB part needs a total re-implementation on base
of grub-mkrescue. This is already quite an obstacle.
But telling people that this work will have to be adapted
in the foreseeable future to an incomptible CLI change ...

Have a nice day :)

Thomas