grub-devel

Having the configuration file embedded into core.img look for the grub p

From: Arbiel Perlacremaz
Subject: Having the configuration file embedded into core.img look for the grub partition by its label
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2014 22:49:25 +0200

Hi

A way I'm using to avoid any Window's reinstallation to overwrite GRUB
in a multiboot environment is to install the later on the MBR of a USB
key. That way, when booting with no key pluged, the PC boots into
Windows and when booting with the key pluged, the PC boots according to
the choice of the user in the grub menu's.

I do locate the grub.cfg file in a partition of the internal hard drive.
In such a situation, grub-install embeddes a config file which reads
something like

    search.fs_uuid 367C9BBD7C9B75F9 root hd0,msdos1
    set prefix=($root)'/'

This is great.

However, any undesired modification by any piece of software of the
partition's uuid will prevent GRUB to find it and lead to a boot
failure. As the Windows partition is less prone to such modifications as
Linux partitions, I do locate the grub.cfg file in that Windows
partition. However it would be more straightforward to locate the file
into a Linux partition, and to have grub search this partition by its label.

How could this be done ? If this can't presently be done, can it be
included in a future grub release ?

Regards

Arbiel