grub-devel

Re: Chainloadig from grub2 to isolinux

From: Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko
Subject: Re: Chainloadig from grub2 to isolinux
Date: Wed, 09 Jul 2014 00:22:41 +0200

On 08.07.2014 15:39, Raif S. Berent wrote:
> Not to beat a dead horse, but I'd like to clarify a few issues that
> seem to be not working.

You're confused as to what GRUB's responsibility is.
> 1. I compiled and installed Grub_trunk on an old laptop, then copied
> the debian.iso to a folder under (hd0,gpt*). Modified the grub.cfg and
> tried to use "syslinux_configfile -i (loop)/isolinux/isolinux.cfg -r
> (loop)" I got the exact same result as PXE booting (No CD-ROM). From
> what I can tell, debian needs the loopback module from the iso loaded
> and the iso to be loop-mounted as a second device in order to get this
> working (have not asked the debian folk).
Debian can't access GRUB's loopback. It has to find iso itself using
special parameters. Use /boot/grub/loopback.cfg for those. Don't forget
to set and export iso_path.

> 2. Most Debian-based iso's fail to properly boot with loopback over
> PXE, including the likes of GParted and Inquisitor. They mostly fail
> with kernel panic: can't mount root.

Ditto.

> 3. MEMDISK: There were several programs I can boot from my USB setup by
> including syslinux memdisk. These now fail due to memdisk error - for
> example (<...> means options I have tried): menuentry "HDT: hardware
> diagnostics tool" { set root="http,192.168.2.100" set
> memfile="/pub/tftp/rescue/rscd/memdisk" set
> isofile="/pub/tftp/rescue/rscd/hdt.img" linux16  ($root)$memfile
> <keeppxe floppy raw safeint> initrd16 ($root)$isofile }
> With PXE, memdisk may need to be replaced with gpxelinux.0, but that
> will require using Grub's broken pxechain. Is there a better way to do
> this? syslinux apparently can also use memdisk for iso booting KERNEL
> memdisk  \  APPEND iso initrd=http://192.168.2.100/path/isofile.iso

memdisk isn't good idea for anything over few MiB or anything that uses
own drivers. Again Linux will not be able to access this memdisk.
> 4. I think it would be a great idea if known grub.cfg entries could be
> listed in the official Grub-wiki.
Nobody volunteered to host an "official wiki".