grub-devel

Re: PXE-Grub has no menu - File not found

From: Beeblebrox
Subject: Re: PXE-Grub has no menu - File not found
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2014 08:20:35 +0300

Hi Andrey,

Hard to tell without knowing what previous version was. I'm afraid in
this case your only possibility is to bisect (man git-bisect) to find
commit that broke things.

I went all the way back to Jan 2014 to find a working build as starting point (git branch <name> && git reset --hard <rev>). None of them worked. The last working Grub binary was from mid-March (I can tell from the folder creation dates on the system).

I had also been forced to switch from Grub to BTX on the main system about a month ago, because Grub was not able to boot my ZFS system (I had to go through a complex rescue).

It makes me wonder whether there is some error injected into the Grub compile by FreeBSD-11? Does not make much sense, but I thought it might be worth considering. Are there any compile flags worth trying?

MESSAGE FROM "./autogen.sh USE_GCC=any --disable-efiemu"
/usr/local/share/aclocal/path_dps.m4:202: warning: underquoted definition of AC_PATH
_GNUSTEP
/usr/local/share/aclocal/path_dps.m4:202:   run info Automake 'Extending aclocal'
/usr/local/share/aclocal/path_dps.m4:202:   or see http://www.gnu.org/software/autom
/automake.html#Extending-aclocal
autoreconf-2.69: configure.ac: tracing
autoreconf-2.69: configure.ac: AM_GNU_GETTEXT is used, but not AM_GNU_GETTEXT_VERSIO
autoreconf-2.69: configure.ac: not using Libtool

RESULT OF "./configure USE_GCC=any --disable-efiemu"
GRUB2 will be compiled with following components:
Platform: i386-pc
With devmapper support: No (need libdevmapper header)
With memory debugging: No
With disk cache statistics: No
With boot time statistics: No
efiemu runtime: No (explicitly disabled)
grub-mkfont: Yes
grub-mount: No (need FUSE library)
starfield theme: No (No DejaVu found)
With libzfs support: No (need zfs library)
Build-time grub-mkfont: No (no fonts)
Without unifont (no build-time grub-mkfont)
With liblzma from -llzma (support for XZ-compressed mips images)

Then gmake runs and completes without error.