grub-devel

Re: PXE boot over NFS please

From: Beeblebrox
Subject: Re: PXE boot over NFS please
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2014 20:36:05 +0300

set root=http,192.168.2.1
loopback loop0 ($root)/tftp/$isofile

Thank you - that was very useful and solves the iso-boot problem.

I must also boot FreeBSD on NFS via TFTP (not HTTP), but this won't work:
menuentry 'FreeBSD chainload BTX' {
   kfreebsd      boot/loader  }

It's probably because this is a PXE setup and not HDD. If one wishes to chainload to FreeBSD's BTX, I think one would have to actually call boot/pxeboot in order to allow BTX to become aware of the PXE structure.

That means we are left with direct-boot. What are the necessary additions / modifications for below? "192.168.2.1:/data/amd64" is the NFS export which will be mounted as root. TFTP path is "/boot", so any & all files under that folder are visible.

menuentry 'FreeBSD over TFTP & root on NFS' --class freebsd --class bsd --class os {
   set kFreeBSD.vfs.root.mountfrom="nfs:192.168.2.1:/data/amd64"
   set kFreeBSD.vfs.root.mountfrom.options="ro"
   kfreebsd $path/kernel
   kfreebsd_loadenv $path/device.hints   }

Thanks & Regards.