grub-devel

Re: Grub2 theme bug with relative numeric values for boot_menu?

From: John Hupp
Subject: Re: Grub2 theme bug with relative numeric values for boot_menu?
Date: Mon, 02 Jun 2014 12:06:03 -0400

On 6/2/2014 9:59 AM, Andrey Borzenkov wrote:
В Mon, 26 May 2014 18:19:23 -0400
John Hupp <address@hidden> пишет:

I'm trying to make my theme completely resolution-independent.  You can
see a current screen shot at Post your Grub 2 Themes
<http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1823915&page=14&p=13031738#post13031738>

Pictures are blocked for guests.

Thanks for replying.

Here it is:

Grub responded well to % values for the numeric values in the progress
bar and labels.  Also OK with %'s for boot_menu properties top, left,
height, width.

But I'm getting bad behavior with item_height and the other properties.
For a 1024x768 grub display and an original setting of item_height = 26,
I can't get equivalent output unless I set item_height = 27%

These properties do not even understand proportional units. If you are
using modified grub which adds support for it, please post patch,
otherwise it is impossible to make any useful comment.

I did not know that these properties do not understand proportional units.  The documentation indicated that ALL numeric property values could be absolute or relative/proportional.  Regardless of that, I realized as I was working on it that unless relative value support extended to decimal values and not just integers, then I could not achieve what I was aiming for, because small values like item height, padding, etc., do not convert very precisely to integer percentages.

But even if there were support for decimal relative values, I also realized that I would have a problem getting equivalent displays under different screen aspect ratios.  This is especially true for icon height and width: an icon that is square under one aspect ratio would be rectangular under another.

So under the current grub scheme, we can make themes that are somewhat resolution-independent: the menu footprint and location, and label and progress bar locations will scale, but the menu items' properties must be absolute, meaning that they will be relatively large on some displays and small on others.  And I grant that this problem may be difficult to solve without adding a lot of code.

So item_height seems to be referencing a parent with a height of about
96, rather than 768.

This is in a VMWare Player environment running Lubuntu 14.04.

Is this a known problem, or is there an explanation/workaround?

(I also realized as I got into this that I will run into a problem with
different aspect ratios, so other than creating at least two themes for
the commonest aspect ratios, I'd be interested in a tip there as well if
there is a solution.)