grub-devel

Re: Patch to compile grub2 with Apple compiler

From: SevenBits
Subject: Re: Patch to compile grub2 with Apple compiler
Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2014 16:34:56 -0400

On 04/07/2014 03:52 PM, Vladimir '?-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko wrote:
> On 07.04.2014 17:04, SevenBits wrote:
>> On Monday, April 7, 2014, Yves Blusseau <address@hidden
>> <mailto:address@hidden>> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> this is a patch to allow compilation of grub2 with Apple
>> Compiler
>>

>> Haven't looked at it yet, but if it works, I'd be major.
> GRUB was compilable under Apple compiler since quite a long time.
> But nobody cared about it and nobody reported problems so it broke
> again. If you care about Apple, then report problems, preferably
> with patch

Well... the issue is that Apple's compiler cannot build executables in
anything except OS X's native Mach-O format. This obviously rules out
one of GRUB's supported platforms (EFI) which requires PE binaries,
unless we're going to ship (or require as a build dependency) a tool
that can convert between the various object formats.

I'm not very knowledgeable about GRUB for non-EFI platforms, as EFI is
my main focus for when I use GRUB. But Apple's compiler is finicky in
general so I expect there might be some issues in building e.g
GRUB-PC. That's AFAIK, though. Perhaps someone with more knowledge
about GRUB's internals in this area than I can elaborate further.

But I'd expect any Apple solution to suffer from neglect. GRUB isn't
used much on Apple hardware, and when it is, it is used to boot Linux
and is compiled on that platform. And even when GRUB *is* built on OS
X, it is typically done so with a cross compiler. Using Apple's
toolchain just isn't a big need unfortunately.