grub-devel

Re: Trying to build Rescue image for three different target and platform

From: Andrey Borzenkov
Subject: Re: Trying to build Rescue image for three different target and platform
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2014 09:51:28 +0400

В Sun, 09 Mar 2014 17:14:04 +0100
adrian15 <address@hidden> пишет:

> Basically what I want to do is to use grub-mkrescue to generate a grub2
> rescue disk with some custom files (The Super Grub2 Disk stuff).
>
> However I want to build different files depending on target+platform
> combination.
>
> My four combinations are:
>
>      * (Hybrid) x86_64+efi and i386+pc
>      * i386 - pc
>      * x86_64 - efi
>      * i386 - efi
>
> More about this setup.
>
> 1) As an initial setup I work with a Debian Unstable Sid Chroot amd64 as
> described in:
> http://www.supergrubdisk.org/wiki/Super_Grub2_Disk_Sid_Chroot#Introduction
> 2) I use Debian's Grub2 source code so that I do not have to deal
> manually with dependencies. That's explained here:
> http://www.supergrubdisk.org/wiki/Super_Grub2_Disk_Sid_Chroot_Grub2_Build_And_Installation
>
> (just before Hybrid build section).
>
> 3) x86_64_efi build is working. Basically what I run in the src dir is:
>
>    sudo rm -rf /usr/local/share/grub
>    sudo rm -rf /usr/local/lib/grub
>    make clean
>    make distclean
>    bash linguas.sh
>    bash autogen.sh
>    ./configure --target=i386 --with-platform=efi && make && sudo make
> uninstall
>    make clean
>    make distclean
>    ./configure --target=i386 --with-platform=pc && make && sudo make
> uninstall
>    make clean
>    make distclean
>    ./configure --target=x86_64 --with-platform=efi && make && sudo make
> uninstall
>    make clean
>    make distclean
>    make clean
>    make distclean
>    bash linguas.sh
>    bash autogen.sh
>    ./configure --target=x86_64 --with-platform=efi && make && sudo make
> install

To be honest, I do not understand what you are trying to do here.

> 6) When I build i386 - pc I get this error:
>
> xorriso : FAILURE : Given path does not exist on disk: -boot_image
> system_area='/usr/local/lib/grub/i386-pc/boot_hybrid.img'
>
> Why is it failing to create /usr/local/lib/grub/i386-pc/boot_hybrid.img
> file?

This file should be built and installed on 386-pc platform. If not
either there is a bug, or you are doing something wrong. It is hard to
tell, you are doing so many steps ...

> 7) Is it useful that I insist on building an i386+efi release? Any
> machine system that uses it? Some old Mac-something hardware perhaps?
>
> 8) What's the best way to build and install an hybrid system that
> includes both: x86_64_efi and i386 - pc stuff?

Just built and install grub for each platform you want to use;
grub-mkrescue will automatically include every platform it finds.

> Current code is:
>
>    ./configure --target=i386 --with-platform=pc && make && sudo make install
>    make clean
>    make distclean
>    ./configure --target=x86_64 --with-platform=efi && make && sudo make
> install

It is better to explicitly force host platform with --host=.... to make
sure user space is always the same. Otherwise it should be fine.

I prefer to build every platform in separate directory, there were
issues with incomplete cleanup. If you hit one, please report.

> 9) A) What's the best way to remove grub configuration files installed
> on the system so that I can start from scratch so that already built
> target+platform grub binaries or configurations are ignored?

There are no configuration files after "make install" (if we do not
count /etc/grub.d as configuration).