grub-devel

Proposal for fixing bootinfoscript when grub v2.00 sits on the MBR

From: Arbiel (gmx)
Subject: Proposal for fixing bootinfoscript when grub v2.00 sits on the MBR
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2014 15:48:03 +0100

Hi

Apparently, you are in charge of maintaining bootinfoscript.

It turns out that the script does not correctly discriminate grub2's
versions 1.99 and 2.00.

To understand why, I've studied the release available for download at
http://sourceforge.net/p/bootinfoscript/code/ci/master/tree/
and used by "boot-repair", a boot repairing tool written by YannUbuntu.

I found out that the mistake comes from the fact that bootinfoscript
looks in core.img for a 6-byte value of "d1 e9 df fe ff ff" and, when
found, looks at the following two bytes for either "66 90" or "8d b6" to
deduce that grub2's version is 2.00. For any other value, it deduces the
version to be 1.99, whereas the latter should be deduced only from a "00
00" value, if the comments inside the script's code are reliable.

I've installed grub2 v2.00 from a Ubuntu distribution and it happens
that the two bytes following the "d1 e9 df fe ff ff" token hold a third
value, namely "8d 76". I obviously do not know whether this third value
is a "good" value to be considered as a grub v2.00 token or if the
search for "d1 e9 df fe ff ff" should be continued until it reaches a
"good" "00 00", "66 90" or "8d b6" value into the two following bytes.

Could you please investigate this issue, and possibly update
bootinfoscript ?

Thank's in advance.

Arbiel