grub-devel

Re: [RFC] Allow separate boot block and core.img location?

From: Chris Murphy
Subject: Re: [RFC] Allow separate boot block and core.img location?
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2014 11:02:20 -0700

On Jan 17, 2014, at 5:01 AM, joe faith <address@hidden> wrote:

> [...]

No I'm suggesting fairness, that GRUB get its own partition for those layouts
that can support it.

> Some of us might want to have a separate partition for data or even
> additional OSs.

Nothing I said is incompatible with partition lunacy.

> Also, I think I mentioned earlier that TrueCrypt FDE doesn't allow
> extended/logical partitions (with XP).
>
> How about:
> 1. Unencrypted boot
> 2. Windows XP (truecrypt)
> 3. Windows 7 (truecrypt)
> 4. Linux root

Adding Windows 7 is changing the goal posts. The context was one linux and one
Windows with TrueCrypt. So please explain how GRUB can't or shouldn't have its
own partition. And also if you can, clarify that TrueCrypt really writes
important metadata to the unallocated space in the MBR gap - because that seems
like a really ill conceived design.

Also, linux root does not require a primary partition. If you're using GRUB it
can even find /boot on something exotic like an XFS formatted LVM2 LV.

Chris Murphy