grub-devel

Re: [RFC] Allow separate boot block and core.img location?

From: Chris Murphy
Subject: Re: [RFC] Allow separate boot block and core.img location?
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2014 14:04:10 -0700

Is there a good reason why we don't have a separate partition for core.img? It
doesn't seem like it's an OK idea for anything to be using the unallocated MBR
gap, it's essentially a free for all. So why not an 0xEA partition of 1MB
that's the MBR equivalent of the GPT BIOS Boot partition? I don't know if it
even necessarily requires use of a primary partition if the boot.img code in
the MBR simply points to an LBA to load. If that's the case core.img could be
in an extended partition. And once GRUB is running, it doesn't care about
primary or extended partitions anyway, right?

Chris Murphy