grub-devel

Re: grub-shell: Pass -no-pad to xorriso when building floppy images

From: Thomas Schmitt
Subject: Re: grub-shell: Pass -no-pad to xorriso when building floppy images
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2014 19:56:16 +0100

Hi,

> There is no second "--". grub-mkrescue --help tries to say, that
> everything after "--" is simply passed on to xorriso. What is
> confusing, is "or any of the mkisofs options" in previous sentence
> which implies that "--" is not needed.

It used to work the way which is still in the docs.

See
  http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/grub.git/tree/util/grub-mkrescue.in?id=2.00

Its arguments are interpreted by

  while test $# -gt 0
  do
     case "$option" in
     *)
          source="${source} ${option} $@"; break ;;
     esac
  done

I.e the unrecognized arguments are added to the list of
source files which is later submitted to the xorriso -as mkisofs
emulation:

  # build iso image
  "${xorriso}" -as mkisofs ... ${source}

Among the xorriso arguments, the "--" has the effect that xorriso
will leave mkisofs emulation and interpret the following arguments
as its native commands and their parameters.

But the new C code obviously thinks too much when seeing
single-dash arguments, which it should handle as xorriso arguments.
And it eats "--". At least if it is the first non-mkrescue argument.

So:

What argument interpretation behavior is grub-mkrescue 2.02
supposed to show ?

The one that is currently documented and matches grub-mkrescue.in
of 2.00 ?

Or the one that is result of using grub-core/gnulib/argp-parse.c ?
The latter would need to be explored and documented, then.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas