grub-devel

Re: Request a freeze exception for vlantag feature

From: Andrey Borzenkov
Subject: Re: Request a freeze exception for vlantag feature
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2014 09:18:47 +0400

On Thu, Jan 9, 2014 at 8:58 PM, Paulo Flabiano Smorigo
<address@hidden> wrote:

> Virtual lan priority is an option in PowerPC SMS:

Packet priorities are entirely optional. I'd love to see real life
case when network does *not* work without setting CoS field. I have
not heard or seen any.

> Maybe we can use the priority and DEI of incoming package as the values for
> the
> following packages. What do you think?

That complicates code and will likely remain untested corner case.

>> May be it should really start using proper options at this point
>> keeping existing three argument form as legacy.
>>
>> net_add_addr --if=... --addr=... --mask=... --vlan=... --hw=... card
>
> I prefer the current format but we can switch to another if it's more
> suitable.

I'm fine with leaving current arguments as is, but new ones should go
in as proper options. It makes no sense to reimplement argument
parsing that we already have. Besides

> +      if (argc == vlan_pos + 4)
> +        grub_set_vlantag (&inf->vlantag, &args[vlan_pos]);

So you want to force everyone to always use "vlan 0 0 N" even though
most users will never need first two numbers (and likely even do not
know what these zeroes are there for).

If you start to add CLI support (besides special support for boot time
configuration) you also need to add printing of VLAN tag in
net_list_addr and support for DHCP over VLAN in net_bootp as well.