grub-devel

Re: please attempt to minimize string changes

From: Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko
Subject: Re: please attempt to minimize string changes
Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2013 00:55:46 +0100

On 21.12.2013 23:34, Benno Schulenberg wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Sat, Dec 21, 2013, at 23:12, address@hidden wrote:
>> You are not allowed to post to this mailing list, and your message has
>> been automatically rejected.  If you think that your messages are
>> being rejected in error, contact the mailing list owner at
>> address@hidden
>
> Ehm, msgid bugs are supposed to be reported to this list,
> so please let the post pass.

Hello, currently bug-grub is subscriber-only list. I'll think of how to
change this. Probably it will be changed to moderated or the mail for
msgid bugs will be changed to another ML (the one I currently
redirecting you to).

> Subject:
> please attempt to minimize string changes
> From:
> Benno Schulenberg <address@hidden>
> Date:
> Sat, 21 Dec 2013 23:12:38 +0100
> To:
> address@hidden
>

> Hello developers,
>
> While updating the Dutch translations of grub's messages, I notice that
> some strings have changed in unnecessary ways.  The change that makes
> me write this mail is the one in util/grub-mkrescue.c, lines 215-217.
> Those three lines were gettextized separately, which was very well,
> because they are separate paragrahs.  Now they are a single string,
> which is not only unwieldy, and ungraspable in one view, but also every
> translator has to concatenate her three previous separate translations
> into a single one.  Unneeded work.  Please gettextize those paragraphs
> again separately, so the translations need to be tweaked only slightly.

grub-mkrescue was rewritten in C and current segmentation is imposed by
argp. I don't know if there is a way to put old strings there.
Perhaps someone more familiar with srgp could help?
> In general, when extending a text, please consider whether the addition
> can be seen as an independent sentence.  If so, then please gettextize
> it separately.
>
> By the way, in grub-core/commands/terminal.c, couldn't
>   "[--append|--remove] [TERMINAL1] [TERMINAL2] ..."
> simply be:
>   "[--append|--remove] [TERMINAL...]"?

I find second less clear since it's more difficult to guess that the
"..." stands for ("[TERMINAL3]",...)

When proofreading Ukrainian and French translations we've found a number
of unclear msgids. I'll make beta2 tomorrow to reflect those changes.