grub-devel

Re: [RFC] Allow separate boot block and core.img location?

From: Chris Murphy
Subject: Re: [RFC] Allow separate boot block and core.img location?
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2013 15:54:58 -0700

On Dec 19, 2013, at 9:31 AM, joe fresh <address@hidden> wrote:
> The intent there was to install the boot block (boot.img) into the first
> sector of sda1, which is what my suggested workaround would have done as well.
> Also, if sda1 happens to be a fat or ntfs volume, this would need to be
> tweaked to ensure that the critical volume parameters are preserved.

You'd have to proscribe XFS from this, it doesn't have the space in the first
sector that you require. I'm sure there are other examples.

> The assumption in both cases is that the user knows what they are doing…

Given the reality, exhibits A, B, C, D, and so on, this seems like a seriously
unwarranted assumption. Users want to do all kinds of crazy things while also
not learning necessarily esoteric facts about booting. I think the ship has
sailed quite a while ago that ordinary users can be expected to know what
they're doing in this realm of computing. It's complicated enough that even
individual experts have developed highly specialized knowledge that their peers
don't have.

Chris Murphy